Do You Read at Home with Your Children? 10 Ways to Make It Better
by Eriani Doyel
When you read at home with your children you are building a foundation that will help them throughout their lives. Here are 10 suggestions to get you started on the right foot:
1. As soon as you bring that little one through your door you can start to read at home. Pick books that have simple pictures and bright or high contrast colors. Make sure that they can handle being eaten as well.
2. When you read at home with your baby or child, cuddle up. Sit them in your lap or by your side so that they will feel close to you and comfortable. This makes reading even more enjoyable.
3. Once your child is old enough to choose, let them pick which books you read at home-even if it is the same book every night-a familiar book makes them feel secure.
4. Put your child's books where they can reach them easily. This is one reason the books should be sturdy. If your child feels free to handle the books they will be more likely to want to read at home-and other places as well.
5. You should read at home in front of your child. Read books, magazines, newspapers and any other material. This will set the example that reading is enjoyable and important to you.
6. Read out loud during everyday activities. When you are reading a recipe, when you are reading instructions for a game, or when you are reading a funny comic strip in the paper-this gives your child another example of reading and its usefulness.
7. Continue to read at home no matter how old your children are. It not only gives you time to share with your child; it models correct reading style and how to use your voice when you read. Let them read to you as well.
8. Include the whole family when you read. Have family discussions about books and other reading material. You can also have one on one reading time.
9. Make it fun. Use funny voices and gestures to bring the characters in a book to life.
10. Make a plan. You should schedule time for family reading every day. Children love routine and they will quickly make this an important part of their daily routine. It doesn't matter when you do it, it only matters that you do it.
Give your children the gift of reading.
About the Author: Eriani Doyel writes articles about Home and Family and Parenting. If you would like more information about reading visit readingrhino.com
Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Eriani_Doyel
Importance Of Reading To Children
Read aloud ideas for parents with children of all ages.
Read aloud hand book
Where to get the reading tools of the trade.
Teach them while they're young
Extensive information on benefits of reading to young children.